Title: Research and Translational Sciences, Senior Scientist to Associate Director
Department: Biopharmaceutical Research and Development
Reports to: Director, Research and Translational Sciences
Brii Biosciences is a clinical-stage biotechnology company based in China and the United States committed to advancing therapies for significant infectious diseases, such as hepatitis B virus (HBV), human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), multi-drug resistant (MDR) or extensive drug resistant (XDR) gram-negative infections, which have significant public health burdens in China and worldwide.
Brii Biosciences is seeking motivated and enthusiastic scientific leader to join our Translational Science (TS) function, focusing on building TS capability in China to enable the execution of robust, decision-enabling clinical translation studies to inform the strategy, leading to early proof-of-concept. The successful candidate will work collaboratively across functional areas such as Clinical, Research and Regulatory as well as with a network of external KOLs and CROs to advance our growing development pipeline of anti-infective therapies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to build translational science strategy and capability to inform and support clinical differentiation opportunities for Brii’s anti-infective programs
- Support qualification, validation and implementation of clinical virology, immunology and biomarker assays at external service providers or collaborators in China; ensure the delivery of high-quality biomarker data and create reports in support of clinical studies
- Effective engagement with internal key stake holders and manages the collaborations with clinical sites, external experts and CROs to deliver quality results for clinical translational research
- Design, prioritize and execute experimental strategies effectively for non-clinical biology studies in a timely manner to enable data driven decisions to inform clinical strategy
- Manage external research collaborations to ensure project progress aligned with internal strategies as well as discovery effort and connecting cutting-edge science with unmet medical need
- Provide deep domain area expertise to discovery and development project teams and build critical scientific insight to identify project gaps and risks and developing mitigation plans
- Nurture a culture of engagement, respect and high performance within a team environment. Provide leadership, coaching and feedback
- MD, PhD, or MS degree with leadership experience in a relevant scientific field (e.g. immunology, microbiology, virology or cell and molecular biology) with a minimum of 2-8 post-degree experience
- Experience in anti-infective drug development in an industry setting is highly desired. Experience in anti-bacteria or chronic hepatitis B virus or immunology research is preferred
- Thorough knowledge and strong scientific background in virology, microbiology, immunology, or related areas; proven ability to implement and maintain high quality state of the art technology
- Scientific understanding of the complexities and recent developments in infectious diseases and the ability to apply knowledge to drug development. A good understanding of drug discovery and early development of small and large molecule drugs in the therapeutic areas of infectious diseases or immune diseases; regulatory processes, and biomarkers is preferred.
- Knowledge of biomarker development and implementation to support clinical assay development/validation for pharmacokinetics, mechanism of action, proof of biologic activity, patient stratification and response prediction markers for early, mid and late-stage clinical trials
- Be able to demonstrate and apply independent thought and creativity to advance projects or programs
- Ability to multi-task to meet aggressive technology development and research goals
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written in English and Chinese
- Demonstrated experiences highlighting collaboration and influence across internal and external stakeholders, including substantial experience in alliance management
- Problem Solving --Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Reasons when dealing with emotional issues.
- Interpersonal Skills- -Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Communication-- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs.
- Leadership-- Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Ethics-- Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Strategic Thinking-- Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment-- Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Initiative-- Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation-- Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.